The process involves ClampOn DSP Well Collision Detectors being installed topside on all existing wells in close proximity to the well being drilled. The drill string’s approach to existing wells will create an increase in the ultrasonic signal being observed topside. When dramatic ultrasonic increases are observed, drilling will be halted and data analyzed. After analysis is complete, the drill string can be diverted or drilling can resume with the confidence that a collision has been avoided or that initial calculations were confirmed.
The use of directional drilling is only going to increase as fields mature. Proper collision avoidance techniques should be considered when preparing for the drilling operations. The ClampOn DSP Well Collision Detector provides the operator with an advanced real time collision monitoring system with minimal equipment and personnel requirements.
Read about ClampOn’s Experience from the field »
- Prevent drill bit from colliding with existing well casing during directional drilling operations
- Give engineers physical proof of drill strings proximity to existing wells
- Prevent environmental damages caused by collisions
- Help to increase safe drilling speed and decrease downtime caused by collisions
- Easy non‐invasive installation of hardware
- No hot work permit required
- Intrinsically safe sensors
- No need for production shut‐down to install
- Minimal impact to daily operations on the platform
- Mounted on conductor pipe